2:00 pm – 2:30 pm – WELCOME COFFEE AND REGISTRATION
2:30 pm – 2:35 pm – MASTER OF CEREMONY’S OPENING REMARKS
- Can Europe create a real end-to-end strategy on cancer that is realistic?
- Why cancer and how can the plan be relevant to other non-communicable diseases?
- How is the coronavirus crisis impacting cancer patients and how is it affecting the Commission’s plans?
- Véronique Trillet-Lenoir, member of European Parliament, chair of the MEPs Against Cancer (MAC) Interest Group
- Do current incentives match the difficulties companies face when developing orphan drugs? And is the reward proportionate to the benefits?
- Is there a balance between the value of new orphan drugs and the cost?
- What is the role of public investment in answering unmet needs?
- Is there a risk the regulation developed for orphan drugs become the rule?
4:30 pm – 4:40 pm – SPEED NETWORKING SESSION
4:40 pm – 5:00 pm – COFFEE BREAK
- What are the lessons learned from the coronavirus crisis on supply of medical technology?
- What’s new in the new regulatory framework on medical devices?
- Why is implementation experiencing delays? What does the delay mean for patients and health care systems?
- Jakub Boratynski, director, Directorate for digital society, trust and cybersecurity, DG Connect, European Commission
- How can the antibiotics pipeline be strengthened? Who should take the lead?
- What are the best practices to control inappropriate use of antimicrobials in nationalized health care systems?
- What progress has been made since the launch of the European One Health Action Plan in 2017?
- Zero-pollution, Farm to Fork…: how can new policies help in the fight against AMR?
Public Health track
Wellbeing at work
- What is the role of employers in promoting and maintaining wellbeing? What’s in it for them?
- What have we learned from the coronavirus pandemic? What will be the long-lasting impact on the way we work?
- What’s the doctor’s responsibility in flagging unhealthy working conditions, including mental health concerns?
Sustainability of medical devices
- Are there solutions to improve reusability and recyclability of medical devices? Are they affordable for stretched health systems?
- How can single-use and sustainability be reconciled?
6:30 pm – 6:50 pm – RIGHT BUG, RIGHT DRUG CHALLENGE – QUIZ
6:50 pm – 6:55 pm – CLOSING REMARKS
6:55 pm – NETWORKING COCKTAIL RECEPTION
8:30 am – 9:00 am – WELCOME COFFEE AND REGISTRATION
9:00 am – 9:05 am – MASTER OF CEREMONY’S OPENING REMARKS
HIGH-LEVEL PANEL DISCUSSION
- Should medical information sharing be a priority in post-coronavirus Europe?
- What can be achieved by the creation of a European Health Data Space? What pitfalls should be avoided?
- How will the regulation of AI impact health care?
- Do resource resource-stretched health organizations have the means to implement state-of-art cyber-secure systems to handle people’s most private data?
- Monique Goyens, director general, The European Consumer Organisation
10:35 am – 10:45 am – WELLBEING BREAK
INNOVATION IN THE PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY
- How to increase and support pharmaceutical research’s responsiveness to new health threats?
- Who bears the cost of the research in times of health care crisis?
- How can innovation answer public needs?
- What does the upcoming pharmaceutical strategy need to deliver on?
LOOKING AT THE ROOTS OF MEDICINES SHORTAGES
SPOTLIGHT DISCUSSION 1
- How can the EU tackle medicine shortages in the block?
- Have we learned a lesson from the coronavirus crisis?
- What needs to change in supply chains to make us more resilient?
- Who benefits from parallel trade and who loses? How much does it contribute to shortages?
After a short spotlight discussion on the challenges around vaccination in Europe, and examples of how governments have tried to meet them, our audience will break down into small group to brainstorm on a solution they would implement as ministries of health.
12:40 pm – 1:30 pm – NETWORKING LUNCH
SPOTLIGHT DISCUSSION 2
- Flattening the curve: what steps taken during the pandemic were successful?
- What can we learn from the transmission data post-crisis?
- How other public health needs were endangered by the coronavirus crisis?
- Lockdown in free societies, what mental health impact did the coronavirus pose on society?
- How could the reaction to coronavirus be different knowing what we know now?
SPOTLIGHT DISCUSSION 3
- With such a strain but also public spotlight put on them in 2020, how will the situation change for health care professionals?
- How can the EU and European members states improve the recruitment, retention, and wellbeing of the workforce?
- Can we also flatten the inequalities for health workers across the continent?
- Istvan Ujhelyi, member of European Parliament
- What are the implications of weather and climate change on health and wellbeing?
- From the zero-pollution ambition to the Farm to Fork strategy, which part of the Commission’s flagship initiative most impact health?
- Can the deal be an answer to the call for more integration of health in all policies – in particular environment policies?
Industrial strategy and Pharma
- What is new in the Industrial Strategy for pharma? What is missing?
- Will it contribute to the new Commission’s ambitions on affordable; accessible and quality health systems?
Public Health track
Migration and health system
- What is the cost of not tackling migrants’ health challenges?
- What are the most common misconceptions and damaging stereotypes about migrants’ health and how can they be dispelled?
- Do policymakers have access to accurate and relevant data on migrants’ health before, during and after migration to take the right steps?
Regulating AI in health care
- What does the new EU AI Strategy hold for the development of Ai in the health sector?
- How can adoption of AI in health care be ensured?
- What are the conditions to make sure AI will be good for our systems’ workload and bottom lines?
Water and pharmaceuticals
- In connection to zero-pollution ambition, how to tackle pollution from pharmaceuticals?
- What can be done to better treat and recycle used pharmaceuticals and pharmaceutical wastewaters?
Public Health track
The EU and health in developing countries
- How is the EU supporting research and innovation in non-EU countries? What could it do better?
- Is European action answering on-the-ground needs?
- How does Europe support achieving the SDGs in developing countries?
Are the EU health care systems fit for health tech innovations?
- What are the reimbursement challenges for new technologies from simple apps, to complex AI systems?
- Is there are market for advanced technological product?
- Who has the investment capacity, how can they evaluate long-term value and what are the incentives in investing?
5:15 pm – 5:20 pm – CLOSING REMARKS
5:20 pm – END OF THE SUMMIT AND NETWORKING DRINKS