8:30 AM – 9:05 AM – WELCOMING REMARKS BY THE MASTER OF CEREMONY AND OPENING JOINT INTERVIEW
Mário Centeno, governor, Bank of Portugal
Klaas Knot, governor, De Nederlandsche Bank; vice chair, Financial Stability Board
9:10 AM – 9:35 AM – INTERVIEW
9:45 AM – 10:20 AM – SPOTLIGHT DISCUSSION: The COVID-19 financial pendulum: Where does Europe stand?
- What lessons can Europe gain from the market turmoil induced by COVID-19? Will Europe be fragmented and will the north-south divisions amplify?
- Were there any shortcomings in terms of supervision and coordination between European and national regulators?
- How differently have eurozone and non-eurozone members been affected by COVID-19? What does that mean for the economic recovery?
- What is the best way for financial services to support the recovery, and what are the obstacles to doing it?
John Berrigan, director general, DG FISMA, European Commission
10:25 AM – 10:40 AM – INTERVIEW WITH PHILIPPE DONNET, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, GENERALI GROUP
10:50 AM – 11:35 AM – PANEL DISCUSSION: 2021: The year of Europe’s (green) recovery?
- Where does Europe stand on the “green recovery?” Do recovery plans have to contain green strings attached to investments?
- What role are banks, insurance groups, and asset managers playing in funding the green recovery?
- Are financial regulators upping the pressure on firms to address climate risks?
- In light of the review of the non-financial reporting directive (NFRD), can financial actors gain easier access to standardized information on non-financial reporting? How much of it relies on Europe’s common “taxonomy?”
Aleksandra Mączyńska, executive director, Better Finance
Siegfried Muresan, MEP (EPP, Romania)
11:45 AM – 12:30 PM – PANEL DISCUSSION: The EU financial toolbox: The CMU to the rescue?
- Access to finance is key for Europe’s recovery. In that context, what progress can be achieved on the CMU and the Banking Union? What remains to be completed?
- Does Europe need a single European supervisor to oversee capital markets?
- How will Europe solve EU member states’ soaring national debt levels and deficits? Is the financial transaction tax a solution?
- What can be done to improve SMEs’ funding?
Jörg Kukies, state secretary for financial market policy, European policy, Federal Ministry of Finance, Germany
12:40 PM – 1:15 PM – SPOTLIGHT DISCUSSION: AML and tax: Keeping finance clean
- Has Brussels reached the limits in its fight against tax evasion? What powers should an EU dirty money watchdog have to do its job properly?
- Which EU member states are the best at implementing AML recommendations? Does the EU need a single supervisory entity?
- Is the supervision framework fit to tackle issues emanating from fintech companies?
1:15 PM – 2:30 PM – LUNCH BREAK